seeking simplicity

laura sent me this little tidbit (originally from here) and it spoke volumes to a place i myself, and many of my closest friends currently find ourselves. i like to call these years of our lives 'the age of discovery' as we transition from what we sought and accomplished, to the great question of 'what's next?' while the original context of the quote was in relation to finances, this small portion applies more to the discovery, the transitory period of understanding.

"We tried numerous jobs until we found jobs that allowed us work in a way that meshed with our values and goals. (I thought at one time that I wanted to be a super career girl. What a laugh that turned out to be. Suits, heels, office politics, and corporate culture made me ill. I’m a jeans and outdoors kind of girl who doesn’t believe in office politics. Needless to say, I didn’t fit and I had to try, try again until I found a job that allowed me to be who I am.) We experimented with everything from the food we ate to what we wore and where we lived. We tried so many different ideas and approaches, I think we even confused our families as to who we were and what we were trying to become.

It didn’t all come together for several years. Had we given up (and believe me, it was tempting) we’d still be living hectic, crazy lives working at jobs that left us empty with only reckless spending to make us feel better. Thank heavens we kept at it. Now we are both very happy in our work, we’ve found the perfect approach to frugality for us, and our lives are much simpler and happier. We work and spend in accordance with our values and goals and that has made all the difference.

The great thing about life is that we get almost unlimited do overs. The only time you can’t try something again is when you’re dead. As long as you’re alive, you can reinvent yourself and correct your past mistakes.
.."

how have you made amends, with yourself and those around you, for choosing a different path then you set out on? how do you appreciate the failures as much as the accomplishments, and try new things until you find what is genuinely right for you? how did you, or do you, motivate to make change in your life? how are you the change you want to see in the world?

(image found here)

1 comment:

Jean said...

You have to follow your heart. So many people fall into a cycle and it's hard to break, but when you've identified what you want, no matter how out of this world it is, you have to do it. It's like having a child - there's never a "right" time - you just have to jump in with both feet and give it all you've got! Thanks for posting this!

welcome to the end. of the page that is.

say hello.

all content © natalie shahmiri 2006 - 2010